Tuesday, October 28, 2008

YIKES! It's been Three Months Since I Last Blogged!

I know. I know. It has been way too long since I last posted. I can sum up the reason in on word...FACEBOOK! It is so much easier to update a status rather that rant and rave in a blog. But I am not willing to let go of the practice of blogging, mainly because I can link my blog to the news reader on Facebook . So now the challenge is to make the effort to write more than a quick status update. I have lots of topics of late that would make good entries but I don't want to overwhelm my readers with a mile long post, so I will keep it to what has been on my mind as of late. My Daughter.

See most of the blogs I read are those of women my age that have school age children on down. And let's face it from the ages of zero to ten and 364 days old what they do and say falls into the categories of amazing, funny, smart, insightful, sweet, loving, etc, etc. As mothers we can't wait to share their actions with the world, we love them, we are proud of them and we want the people in our lives who love our children to share in our joy. If blogging would have been "all the rage" in Emily's early years, my readers would honestly have just gotten sick of all the many stories I could have told of her greatness....HAAHHA!

But as I entered the blogosphere, Emily was knee deep into her teenage years, nope let me restate that, she dove in head first and was dragging Chuck and I behind her through the muck and mire like an unwanted flotation device that she wished she could abandon! At times, Chuck and I could hardly raise our head to get a breath, we felt as though we would just drown, but we held on for dear life. Honestly, I just did not feel right about writing about the turmoil, for fear that it would scare the pants off all my friends who have yet to discover such bliss. I guess I took the position, "If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all!" (Well, at least on my blog.) But through it all we loved her, showed concern for her actions, prayed for her, had others pray for us, and presented a united front as parents (Chuck, BTW is the best tag-team partner anyone could have!)

In this world there are many parents that will face much harder circumstances than myself, and I am sure there are those near-perfect parents that will never endure the circumstances I faced because they did in fact raise "perfect children", but if I may offer some advice. If you are one of those "near perfect parents" out there and you have one of those "near perfect" children hit adolescence and seem to lose their mind. DON'T be afraid to talk about there actions then, too. Even though I did not write about it on my blog...I was an open book to my work friends, and church family. And a good number of those folks had lived through the teenage years with there children. They gave us support, lifted us in prayer, and were honest about the actions of their children. This was important because it helped us to realize that sometimes the actions of a child are NOT a direct reflection of their parents. They are teenagers making their own choices...knowing full well they are wrong!

I can't say with 100% assurance that we don't have obstacles to face in the future where Emily is concerned,but I can honestly say I am really enjoying my my daughter and thankful for her presence in my life everyday... regardless of the DRAMA she can sometimes bring along... :-) So pardon me while I tell you all about all the "CUTE" things she has done lately...
  • She is an independent thinker.
  • She likes to talk politics with her daddy.
  • She is a girl with STYLE... She took her clothes she no longer wanted and sold them to Plato's Closet/Consignment Shop for $50 and then went to Goodwill to shop.
  • She is accepting of others and has a heart for the underdog.
  • She is a responsible student.
  • She starts her first job next week.
  • She bought her own car.
  • She talks about what she might want to do as a future career.
  • She TALKS TO HER PARENTS...even about boys that like her or boys she might like.
  • She makes time to watch a favorite TV show with MOM ...and we have even included Chuck into the fun!
  • She still calls me Mommy.
I just wanted to take a little time to brag on my daughter...I am allowed....I AM HER MOTHER!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I guess I'll be asking for advice in the future! I always knew she was something special when she was little (and still is) so brag on! -Kelly

Scooper said...

Thank you for the sweet blog comment you left! Maybe I'll call you in a few years about the whole teenager thing. I have a very independent thinker myself! Happy 2009 to you too! Oh, and how is it that a perpetual youngster such as yourself can actually have a teenager?